Our mid-week dish of the week is a quick and easy option for those wanting a light yet delicious supper. A popular staple when it comes to ordering a “Chinese takeaway”, why not try this simple, yet authentic version of the dish from Orient London, a popular Chinese restaurant based in the heart of Soho?
Chicken Chow Mein
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 30ml (2 tablespoon) light soy sauce
- 200g (7oz) medium egg noodles
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) sesame oil
- 5cm (2in) piece root ginger, sliced
- 3 peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green), de-seeded and diced
- 300g (10oz) Chinese-style stir fry vegetables
- 60ml (4 tablespoon) oyster sauce
- 1 spring onions, shredded
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- Season the chicken with 1 tablespoon of Chinese five-spice powder and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Cook the noodles according to pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil in a wok over a medium to high heat and stir-fry the chicken for 5 minutes until golden. Add the garlic, ginger, peppers, remaining Chinese five-spice and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add the Chinese stir-fry veg, cooked noodles and remaining soy and oyster sauce; stir-fry for 1 minute. Check the meat is cooked through with no pink showing.
- Stir through half the spring onions and half the coriander and divide between 4 plates. Serve scattered with the remaining spring onions, coriander and sesame seeds.
Recipe supplied by Orient London
Try more Dish of the Week recipes.