Deliciously decadent and with Christmassy undertones, this sticky gingerbread cake recipe will make the perfect dessert or teatime treat over the festive season.
Made in the ‘bundt’ cake dish, our recipe this week is a special spiced, sticky, gingerbread cake, which can be served with a hot toffee sauce and clotted cream. What’s more, like a fine wine, it improves with age so you can bake it a few days in advance or make it when you can and then freeze for up to three months (without the sauce).
This is a great dish for the summer. As usual, we would love to see your efforts so please send your pictures to: email@example.com
Sticky Gingerbread Bundt with toffee sauce and clotted cream
For the gingerbread
250g Trewithen Dairy unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
375g soft dark brown sugar
5 balls stem ginger in syrup, drained
50g ginger syrup
3 large eggs
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
280g Trewithen Dairy natural yoghurt
For the toffee sauce
115g Trewithen Dairy unsalted butter
150g soft dark brown sugar
100g Trewithen Dairy clotted cream
- For the gingerbread, heat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 4. Generously grease a 10 cup bundt tin with butter, then sprinkle with flour. Turn the bundt tin upside down and tap out any excess flour.
- Place the butter, sugar, treacle and ginger syrup in a pan and cook over a low heat for 3 minutes, stirring until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little.
- Very finely chop the stem ginger and place in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk. Add the eggs and whisk on high speed for 3 – 5 minutes, until the eggs are light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice together.
- With the mixer on low speed, pour the warm syrupy mixture into the eggs and mix for 30 seconds. Then add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and gently fold in the yoghurt with a large metal spoon or rubber spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared bundt tin and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely or serve warm.
- For the toffee sauce, place the butter, sugar and clotted cream in a pan and heat over a medium heat, stirring, until the butter and cream have melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and pour into a serving jug.
- Serve the sticky gingerbread with the toffee sauce and a good dollop of clotted cream.
Recipe supplied by Trewithen Dairy.