Looking for a flavourful, satisfying meal for Shrove Tuesday? Try this healthy, veg-filled savoury pancake recipe.
For our Dish of the Week, and in recognition of Pancake Day, we bring you this delicious, savoury and versatile pancake recipe, which can be a lunch or dinner and enjoyed at any time of the year.
With a Mexican twist and veggies throughout, the recipe is elevated with the use of Yondu, a plant-based flavour enhancer sauce.
Joy of Veg Pancakes
Total time: 30 min
Serves 4 (8 pancakes)
- 125g flour
- 10g baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- 150 ml oat milk
- 2 tablespoons Yondu Vegetable Umami
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded (50g) 1⁄2 small courgette, shredded (70g)
- 30g fresh spinach, chopped
- 20g sunflower seeds (2 tablespoons) Black pepper and olive oil
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, oat milk and Yondu and stir until smooth. It will look a little thick, but don’t worry.
- Add shredded carrot, courgette, spinach, sunflower seeds and black pepper (optional). Stir well and let rest for 4 minutes before cooking.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, drizzle a few drops of olive oil and make the pancakes as follows: Carefully place two tablespoons of batter in the skillet and shape the edges to make the pancakes as round as possible. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook 3 more minutes on the other side.
- You can serve your Veg Joy pancakes with Mexican style pico de gallo: Chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped parsley, a drizzle of Yondu, a drizzle of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.
For a gluten free version use your favourite gluten free flour but only 100g instead of 125g. You can also use whole wheat flour or any other flour that you like.
Recipe supplied by Yondu.
Try more Dish of the Week recipes.