Nothing beats a light refreshing salad for lunch or a light dinner during the summer months and we have the perfect recipe for you to try this week, Red Mullett, Orange and Fennel Salad. Thank us later.
This tasty treat comes from Food I Fancy’s Natasha Miles and she assures us that even those of us with the most basic kitchen skills can knock this dish up in no time. This salad is fresh, light and vibrant and it’s perfect for lunch, a starter or a light dinner.
- 2 red mullets, scaled, boned and filleted
- 80g watercress
- 1 large fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- I lemon
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 20ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of a half a lemon
- Step 1 – Place the red onion in a little jar and top with apple cider vinegar. Set aside to pickle for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 – Score the skin on the red mullet fillets. Drizzle with olive, salt and pepper. Then grill on one side for 3 to 4 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Step 3 – Place layers of thinly sliced fennel, orange and red onion on to a plate. Top with watercress, red mullet, a slice of lemon and scatter with capers. If the fennel has fronds, sprinkle some on top too.
- Step 4 – Mix the olive oil with the lemon juice and drizzle over the plate. Serve immediately.
Recipe supplied by Food I Fancy
Try more Dish of the Week recipes.