If you’re looking for a light and summery recipe, try this: Galette of scallops and courgettes with a red pepper, chocolate and vanilla dressing.
This dish includes a few of our very favourite ingredients. Scallops, chocolate, vanilla? Say less. Also, don’t be put off by the fancy term ‘galette’, it simply means pastry base, so this delicious and light savoury dish will make a wonderful afternoon or evening meal.
If you make this dish, do send your pictures to: firstname.lastname@example.org for us to feature.
Galette of scallops and courgettes with a red pepper, chocolate and vanilla dressing
Serves 4 – Cook/Prep Time 35 Minutes
- 12 scallops
- 1 large courgette (blanched for two minutes)
- 225g puff pastry
For the red pepper, chocolate and vanilla dressing
- 1 sweet red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp pitted and chopped nicoise olives (optional)
- 2 tbsp of peeled, seeded, and diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp LittlePod natural vanilla paste (available from littlepod.co.uk)
- 2 tsp LittlePod pure chocolate extract
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil very slowly so that the mixture will emulsify into a smooth blend, and season to taste.
Puff Pastry Disks
Preheat oven to 375F /190c /fan assisted oven 180°c/gas 5
- Roll out the puff pastry into a square shape as thin as possible, place between two heavy baking sheets and cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown, remove from the oven.
- Use a cutter to cut out a circle of about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- Repeat three times and set aside the pastry disks and allow to cool.
Assembling the Pastry Disks
- Place the four disks onto a baking tray, slice the scallops and courgettes into equal rounds.
- Place a scallop on the pastry disc and then a courgette and continue to overlap the courgette and scallops until each disk is completely covered.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over a little olive oil.
- Place under a hot grill for 4 minutes or until the scallops are just cooked.
- Place cooked scallop and courgette pastry disc on warmed starter plates.
- Spoon some of the pepper dressing around each galette and place a small pile of mixed salad leaves or king prawns in the middle of the galette.
Try more Dish of the Week recipes