It’s National Barbecue week, (29 May to 4 June) and so it’s time to wheel out your grill.
With two-in-three households now owning a BBQ grill there’s no excuse. In honour of BBQ Week, our dish of the week has a decidedly smoky flavour.
Sensational Sirloin Kabobs
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 4 fluid ounces lemon-lime flavoured carbonated beverage
- 2 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 fresh pineapple – peeled, cored and cubed
Don’t forget your skewers!
- In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, light brown sugar, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, seasoned salt, garlic pepper seasoning, and lemon-lime flavoured carbonated beverage. Reserve about 1/2 cup of this marinade for basting. Place steak in a large reseal-able plastic bag. Cover with the remaining marinade, and seal. Refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add green peppers, and cook for 1 minute, just to blanch. Drain, and set aside.
- Preheat grill for high heat. Thread steak, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and pineapple onto skewers in an alternating fashion. Discard marinade and the bag.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook kabobs on the prepared grill for 10 minutes, or to desired doneness. Baste frequently with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com