I’ve got far too many lipsticks, said no one ever! Just because the bottom half of our faces are covered up behind face masks right now, doesn’t mean we can’t pucker up and treat ourselves to a new lipstick.
We smile with them, kiss with them and sip champagne with them. Our luscious lips may be hidden from view to the outside world at the moment, but we humbly reject the idea that you should not still adorn them with your signature colour beneath the mask. After all, wearing makeup is as much about feeling good as it is looking good, and lipsticks are a simple way to getting that “made up” look that lifts spirits like nothing else. Top tip though, we advise you opt for a good matte lipstick to avoid smudge at best and worst, looking like a clown!
In honour of Lipstick Day (29 July 2020), we share five facts you probably didn’t know about lipsticks and 5 of our favourite matte lipsticks we’re loving right now.
Lipstick facts – Did you know?
- Lipgloss was introduced to the public in 1930 by Max Factor Company
- The first swivel-up lipstick in a tube appeared in 1923
- Guerlain introduced the first commercial lipstick in the form of a pomade in 1828
- The average woman spends over £11,000 on makeup in her lifetime and of that amount, £1,400 goes toward lipstick
- Natural based lipsticks (colourful fruit and plant juices) have been used by women since the prehistoric times.
5 of our favourite matte lipsticks we’re loving right now
Huda Beauty Power Bullet Matte Lipstick 3g | £22 | Shop here
ColorBlend Deluxe Xtreme Lips | £12.50 | Shop here
Badass Icon Matte Lipstick | £21.50 | Shop here
Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Walk Of Shame 3.5g | £25 | Shop here
Anastasia Beverly Hills Matte Lipstick 3.5g | £20 | Shop here
Main image credit: Uoma Beauty
*Lipstick facts compiled by Feelunique, Mintel and lipstickhistory.com