20 years later, it will come as no surprise that queen of the catwalk, Naomi Campbell can still rock the iconic cut-off denim shorts and white tee that she wore in a 90s Gap ad. She joins a new generation of emerging talent, the children of 90s icons in a new Generation Gap collection, available online and in select stores from 7 February.
Naomi Campbell, who was shot wearing the Pocket Tee in her 1992 ad by Steven Meisel, wears the Pocket Tee re-issue in the film.
“It’s an honour to be here, in the same outfit that I wore twenty years ago in my Gap ad,” said Campbell. “The creativity in the ‘90s is something I’m so grateful that I got to be a part of and to see and to learn from and to draw inspiration from.”
“I was a ‘Gap kid’ so when the call came through to re-interpret the legendary ‘90’s Gap campaigns, it was a dream come true,” says ‘Generation Gap’ director Kevin Calero. “The ‘90’s ads set the tone for a whole stream of fashion attitudes and moments. I don’t think many other brands could pull off this sort of film with authenticity and heart.”
The ‘Generation Gap’ cast includes:
- Model Lizzy Jagger, daughter of Jerry Hall, wears her take on the classic black Bodysuit that her mother flaunted in 1991.
- DJ TJ Mizell, son of Jam Master Jay of Run DMC, wears the iconic Gap Logo Sweatshirt that his father wore in the “Original Fit Jeans” commercial in 1990.
- Actor Evan Ross, son of Diana Ross, wears the sleeveless Logo Tee as a tribute to his mother who wore a simple tank in her 1991 ad.
- Singer Chelsea Tyler, daughter of Steven Tyler, wears the sleeveless Tee and Reverse Pleated Jeans channeling her dad’s “Easy Fit Jeans” commercial from 1997.
- Singer Rumer Willis, daughter of Demi Moore, wears the Cropped Denim Jacket, similar to the one her mother wore in her 1990 ad, with the Henley Bodysuit.
- Artist Coco Gordon, daughter of Kim Gordon who wore the Pocket Tee in her 1990 ad, wears the navy Icon Leather Jacket, black short-sleeve Mockneck Tee and High Rise Denim Short in the film.
For further information on the collection and to view ‘Generation Gap’ go to Gap.com.
Images Credits: Gap.com